So you are thinking about building a new home and looking for ideas for planning your new home. The best designed new homes are homes that couples spent more time designing, learning and planning than builders spent building. There are many steps to planning a new home which should be approached before one meets with the home builder, or contractor. In a minute I’m going to cover some ideas for planning your new home to get you started tips. But first you might also want to check these articles Home Building Basics and New Home Planning, as they relate closely to how to plan your new home.
All right, let’s get started and go over the ideas for planning your new home.
Ideas for Planning Your New Home Tip One: Know What You Want
It is vital to have clear images in mind before you visit the contractor or home builder. I recommend keeping a scrap book, or a word document full of pictures, samples, and floor plans which you have formulated into a desired floor plan, design, and basic look and feel for your home. Decide if you like open spaces or small cozy rooms, and determine how many bed rooms, baths and living areas you require, and how large each room or area should be. Play around with a few floor plan programs, with 3-D views or even a Sims game in order to get an idea of what your dream home should look like, and what it would be like to live there.
Ideas for Planning Your New Home Tip Two: Know About Home Construction
Before designing your own home, you should research construction methods such as, green construction, timber framing, and standard framing. Research building codes in your area, and become very aware of the differences in the various types and qualities of building materials commonly used. Familiarize yourself with common building practices and schedules. Know all the steps of building a home and what to expect during the construction process.
Ideas for Planning Your New Home Tip Three: Know Your Local New Home Builders and Contractors
Research local builders, and get to know real estate agents, sub contractors, and other people in jobs related to home building. Discuss home builders and contractors with everyone you know, and even the people you meet in public if you can find a way to bring up the subject. The more you know the better off you are when choosing a builder. Also the more people you know in the business, the more credible information you can gather. Seeing new homes and older homes go on the market, try to find out who the builder was. If you like what you see, give the builder a call.
Ideas for Planning Your New Home Tip Four: Know What Building Materials Cost
Know approximate costs of building supplies, and various items you wish to incorporate in your home. Research prices and compare the cost of various homes for sale in your area, with how they look inside. When discussing what you like with a new home builder or contractor, always express that structure and building quality are the top priorities.
Learning about homes, and deciding exactly what you want before contacting a home builder or contractor should ensure getting a home built that matches your lifestyle. Contractors and home builders who specialize in design build homes can only help you get the home you want if you have a clearly defined idea of exactly what you want.
Let’s do a quick recap…
1. It is really important to have a clear idea of what you want in your new home before visiting a contractor or new home builder. I recommend keeping a scrapbook, or a word document full of pictures, samples, and floor plans to help clarify and express your wants.
2. Before designing your own home, you should research construction methods, building codes in your area, and building materials.
3. Research local builders, and get to know real estate agents, sub contractors, and other people in jobs related to home building.
4. Know approximate costs of building supplies, and various items you wish to incorporate in your home. Research prices and compare the cost of various homes for sale in your area.
5. In general get as educated as you can on new home building. Download the free New Home Steps Guide above and become smart on home building from start to finish.
Let me know if you have any questions. I hope you founds these ideas for planning your new home tips useful.