It is very important to know what to look for when choosing a home builder. Choosing a home builder is a huge decision, considering the amount of money you are about to entrust the builder with. There are obvious red flags, as well as aspects to consider, that have both pros and cons.
• A long list of credible complaints about a builder on the internet
• Credible complaints by local home owners
• Even the suggestion that the builder wants you to sign an arbitration agreement
• Seeing a home built by this builder, with structural defects or poor quality construction
• Seeing substandard work or materials on a building site
• Discovering that a builder uses unlicensed electricians
• Observing crews or subcontractors working on a job site while impaired
• Two or more Realtors, loan officers, subcontractors or other building experts name the builder as the last person they’d recommend
• Builder is unapproachable, hard to talk to, or you feel a strong personality conflict with him
• Builder does not offer a warranty of any type
What to Look for When Choosing a Home Builder: Size of the Company
It has become increasingly popular to use huge national home building corporations. In these situations, you speak with salesmen, and managers. Using local home builders insures that you will at least be able to speak with an owner, and insures that you can speak to the person ultimately responsible and in charge. Extremely small-time home builders can do an excellent job if given the opportunity. Some large corporations have satisfied customers as well. It’s really a personal choice, but there are differences you should be aware of.
What to Look for When Choosing a Home Builder: Experience and Track Record
Choosing a home builder with an experienced crew, and a lot of history in your area seems like the wisest decision. In the case of new technology though, sometimes energy efficient and green home builders are new. It can be a bit risky though, and you should spend a lot of time talking to a new contractor in the area before you make any agreements.
What to Look for When Choosing a Home Builder: Price Range
You should select a builder who normally works with homes in your approximate price range. The only exception might be if you want a very small house of high quality. You may want a quality or luxury home builder to build a smaller house than he normally does, rather than going to a budget home builder.
What to Look for When Choosing a Home Builder: City or Country Builder
If you live in a large city, you will have the choice of using a builder from the city, or one from a small town nearby. Occasionally you may find a better price and a better level of experience from a small town builder. It is a good idea, if you live in a major city, to look at a larger radius for home builders, even though there is already a long list of builders in your city. Look for lists of builders in small towns near the city, as well as builders in the city.
Choosing a home builder is a very important decision which should be based both on facts and your instincts. It is vitally important that you find a reputable home builder with integrity. It is also important that you like your home builder, and find him easy to talk to. Trust is sometimes a much more complex issue than merely reading about a company on line. It is important to find someone you trust to build your home. Knowing what to look for when choosing a home builder can be one of the most important parts of the home building process.