If you’re contemplating refurbishing your home one of the things you may be considering is the cost of plastering a 3 bed house.
Undeniably the price forms an essential part of the overall budget and could determine whether the plastering project will occur now or later.
But guess what?
There’s no universal answer as every project has unique demands.
Costs can vary dramatically depending on numerous diverse factors from the plaster type to the labour costs.
Wouldn’t you want to know how these elements might impact what you eventually end up paying?
Table of Contents
Cost Of Plastering A 3 Bed House
When it comes to the cost of plastering a 3 bed house several factors come into play. The prices range considerably from $200 up to $1200 depending on variables such as the plastering techniques chosen and the size of the rooms amongst other factors.
Meanwhile the average cost of plastering a room varies from £595 to £1500. For a comprehensive breakdown consider factors like plaster type room size and condition of the walls.
Homes with a smaller size require roughly between $2580 – $3370 to plaster the entire house whilst a medium home may cost between $5160 – $6100. A larger 3 bedroom home could cost upwards of $6800 for a full house plastering job.
This is not a small investment so it’s essential to hire skilled plasterers for professional-quality results and to ensure your budget covers the work required.
Plastering Techniques And Costs
There are two primary types of plastering techniques: skimming and plastering. Plastering is more than merely smoothing out rough surfaces and adding aesthetic appeal; it also provides durability and offers improved acoustics.
The average cost for standard plastering ranges between $18 – $58 while ornamental plastering would typically cost the same.
Skimming on the other hand involves applying a thin coat of plaster to existing plaster and costs anywhere from $145 – $516 depending on the size of the room. Skim coating plaster can range from $7000 to $40000 for an entire house.
The cost per square foot for plasterwork typically ranges between $2 and $10 with resurfacing work costing at least $10 per square foot.
Understanding these costs and techniques helps homeowners assess whether plastering is a viable solution for their needs. Getting a written quote is a strong step in this process.
Benefits Of Plastering Your House
Plastering your house provides numerous advantages. Here are the top benefits:
- Durability: Plastering enriches the strength and durability of your walls. It forms a strong base that prevents occasional cracks.
- Improved acoustics: Plastering can significantly balance sound avoiding sound leaking and creating a more peaceful home environment. This characteristic is very appreciated in houses with musicians or recording studios.
- Flexibility: Plasterwork is versatile and allows more creativity and design flexibility.
- Cleanliness: Newly applied plaster is clean and discourages the growth of moulds. Furthermore it leaves minimal residue promoting a clean and healthy living environment.
- Adaptable and Easy-to-use: Plaster is practical and easy-to-use enabling you to easily cover your wall’s imperfections smoothen rough surfaces or apply ornamental plastering designs.
Plastering Checklist For Your Home
Before starting your plastering project this checklist ensures a smooth plastering process:
- Find a local plasterer: You can find plasterers online or ask friends and family for recommendations.
- Get a written quote: Always get a written quote detailing expected costs of plastering your 3 bedroom home.
- Schedule a date: Find a convenient time when temperature and air conditions are optimal usually when the air is warm and dry.
- Prepare your home: This involves clearing the room moving furniture and removing fragile items to avoid damage.
- Purchase essential materials: Don’t leave last-minute purchasing have all prerequisite materials ready.
Remember plastering takes 1-3 days but it’s important to allow additional 2-3 days for plaster to fully dry before applying any paint. Also if you can hire a professional plasterer for the best results.
Hiring A Plasterer Costs And Considerations
If you’ve got some plastering work in your 3 bed house you’ll need to consider the hiring a professional plasterer cost. On average it ranges from £595 to £1500 which is largely determined by the size and condition of the room.
Plastering a small room will cost between £595 and £900 while for a medium-sized room you may need to budget between £850 and £1250. Expect to pay between £1200 and £1500 for a large room.
When it comes to plastering you have the choice between plastering a whole room or skimming a room which involves applying an additional layer of plaster to existing plaster. The cost to skim a room runs from £300 to £1000.
If you’re considering plastering the entire house remember that the price can vary based on the number of rooms. With an average cost of £785 per room you’ll need to adjust your budget accordingly.
Despite the higher cost hiring a skilled plasterer is advisable if you’re are after professional-quality results. Not only are they experts at their trade but they also have the knowledge and experience to handle complications that can arise during the plastering process.
While plastering can be done as a DIY job hiring a professional can save you time and stress. Plus if the job is not done correctly you may need to pay to repair the damage which could end up being more expensive in the long run.
Keep in mind that multiple factors can influence the cost of plastering a 3 bed house. These include room size wall and ceiling condition and height room complexity and the cost of removal and disposal among others.
Given the wide variance in cost it’s best to get a written quote from the professional plasterer before proceeding. This will give you a comprehensive breakdown of the costing details and help you avoid any last-minute costs.