Let’s get down to the nitty gritty and get very specific about what you need and want in your new home and plan it out. What I want you to do is have everyone who will be living in the new home answer the following questions. Have each person write their answers on a plain sheet of paper.
To do this I’m going to ask you a series of questions. Are you ready? Let’s start:
• How many bedrooms do you need?
• How many bathrooms do you need?
• How big does the master bedroom need to be? And does it need to be on the first floor?
• How big do the other bedrooms need to be?
• What type of kitchen do you need based on your lifestyle?
• Do you want a separate living room or do you prefer a great room that merges rooms together?
• Do you need a separate laundry room?
• Do you need a guest bedroom?
• Do you need a home office?
• How much space do you need for storage?
• Do you need a basement? And do you want it finished?
• How large of a garage do you need?
• What other rooms are important to your lifestyle?
• What type of outdoor living space do you need? Porch, screened room, etc.?
• And what else comes to mind for you?
Now let’s talk for a minute about your lifestyle. Again, everyone should participate and write down their answers.
• How do you want to live? Are you more comfortable in smaller intimate spaces or larger open spaces?
• Do you enjoy cooking?
• Do you like to entertain?
• Do you have a lot of guests staying over?
• Do you love to relax and watch movies?
• Do you like to exercise?
• Do you work out of the home?
• Do you need an area for the kids to blow off steam?
• Does anyone have special needs?
• Do you have a hobby or collection that needs space?
• List anything else that comes to mind.
Now that you have a list of wants wished for in your new home review it and refine it. At this point you can’t start planning out your floor plan.